Subject: Re: [Leica] Fountain pens, etc.
From: "Richard E. Baznik" <reb10@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:16:12 -0400

Martin:

Great post! My own theory is that as the concept of aristocracy and other
inherited markers of "social worth" fade from the scene, the species looks
for surrogates for these traditional signs of distinction. It is almost too
convenient (maybe not coincidental) that good craftsmanship, long
associated with the artifacts treasured by the aristocracy, is also
increasingly difficult to find. And, of course, there is the incessant
focus on youth in virtually every aspect of modern life.

Putting these trends together, it's not hard to see why the remaining
examples of high craftsmanship (cameras, pens, cars, whatever) hold special
appeal to persons entering their middle years. The positive spin may be
that this penchant will allow at least some examples of high quality to
survive the onslaught of mass production and commodity-level pricing. The
down side is the apparent use of high quality implements as "jewelry," to
quote a post from another LUGger several months ago.

In the interest of full disclosure, let me admit that I am 56, use Leica,
and write with Mont Blanc. I appreciate the quality of all three of these
traits equally, though the service available for the Leica equipment is the
least satisfactory.///Dick Baznik