Subject: Re: [Leica] Mysterious SL2 MOT
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:11:24 +0200

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Anyway, the thing that intrigues me is that the serial number of the
> camera seems off. According to the Pocket Book, my serial
> number--14439xx--identifies the camera as a regular SL2 from 1976. Is
> this an error in the book, or do I have some sort of sophisticated
> fake??

Nathan,

Following are copies of two old E-mails to the LUG

I think they will answer your question.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Date: 21-May-1998 10:53:29
From: Lucien
Subject: [Leica] Quantity of Leicaflex SL-Mot and SL2-Mot
made ?

According to various books and Leica serial numbers lists,
(Rogliatti, Sartorious, Laney etc..)
the production figures of :

SL-Mot = 980
SL2-Mot = 1,020

Total = 2,000

After research, I think it's much more than that.

1)None of the Black paint SL-Mot are in those lists.
(Ex. Lager and mine) They have SL numbers.
(Mine is 12403XX = 1969-70)
The first SL-Mot in the list is from 1972 (1336991)

2)As you can see in my former post
(Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL2MOT)
there are several SL2-Mot not in the lists also.

3)Furthermore, the serial number of the SL/SL2-Mot Motors
seem to start at 1,000.
(In the Motor instruction manual dated from 4/69,
the number engraved is 1.006)
My SL-Mot motor is the 1.20X,
and I have an orphan SL2-Mot Motor which is nr 4.35X.
That give us more than 3350 motors produced.

Will we ever know the truth ??

Lucien