Subject: Re: [Leica] Rolex, Mont Blanc, etc.
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:25:56 EDT

In a message dated 6/11/99 1:12:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, marho@ikp.liu.se
writes:

<< Marc James Small wrote:

 > Sort of like Rolls-Royce cars:  they're big, rarely give any trouble,
 > and make a statement, but it isn't a statement I especially care to
 > make.

 Marc, wonderfully put!  It is exactly the statement that they make that
 I object to.  I'm sure they're durable and great watches, but they're
 not for me. >>

            Rolex watches and BMW automobiles got that "make a statement"
taint in the 80's because the yuppies adopted them as their status badges.
Not that either manufacturer made any attempt to distance themselves from it.
 Quite the opposite, as it meant major profits to them to ride the wave of
popularity.  Those of us who wore Rolexes and drove Beemers back when, did so
because of their unique qualities of performance and durability (the same
characteristics we buy/use Leicas for).  And we endured lots of derision from
the same type of folks who later on embraced them as their icons.  I wonder,
would you gentlemen refuse to carry your Leicas if they suddenly became the
*in* accessory of the show-off set?

DT