Subject: [Leica] Male Jewellery (was Rolex, Mont Blanc, etc.)
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor.1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:09:57 +0100

Marc wrote:

>Well, I still wear the GP my father got me in '65.  I'll stick to that:
>I've had a couple of Rolexes along the way, but they never impressed me.
>Sort of like Rolls-Royce cars:  they're big, rarely give any trouble, and
>make a statement, but it isn't a statement I especially care to make.

Each to his own taste...

1) You don't have to use Leicas to take superb photographs.

2) If all we wanted to do was tell the time, a plastic quartz watch from
the dime store would do the job.

3) As all we want to do is get from A to B, let's all drive round in the
most beat-up wheels we can find.

Like it or not, we all make statements about ourselves in terms of what we
use as well as what we are. So long as we don't get the two confused. The
real question is whether we care too much about what other people think of
the statements we make.

Personally, I love beautifully engineered artefacts that I only have to buy
once - in my book they're bargains. But that's not to to say that the
protagonists of the 'throw-away' culture don't have an equally valid
viewpoint - apart from the recycling implications.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Waterfall
Nr. Cork
Ireland

also (from time to time) Farnham, England

Tel: +353 21 543 328 (H)
       +353 21 270 907 (W)
       +441 252 726 922  (Farnham)

Fax: +353 21 271 248