Subject: Re: [Leica]OT: Cross-country trip. Suggestions greatly appreciated.
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:40:13 -0800

> Paul Klingaman wrote:

> > I have decided to take a trip with my best friend this summer across most of
> > the United States(From Denver, PA to Denver, CO; with a pit stop in Boston).
> >   And so, I thought calling in the big dogs(members of the LUG) for advice
> > would be a good idea.  I'd like to make the "Great American Portfolio" on
> > this trip.

Paul,

First pack a copy of The Americans and of The Family of Man for
inspiration.  Second, talk to people everywhere.   Smile a lot.  Take
their photos.  Then ask for a model release, too.

A year ago a photographer with a photojournalism bent was signed with
Tony Stone Images and they encouraged him to travel across the country
making Icon America pix.  He spent six weeks and got some wonderful
stuff.  And got model releases.  And all BW.  Leica?  I don't know.  But
Leica-like anyway.  Wonderful project.  Last I heard he was even
beginning to make some money from it.

I did three months once in a VW microbus (of course) after school and
after sending out 50 applications to newspapers.  An offer caught up
with me in South Dakota for the Hartford Courant, or it would've gone on
longer.  One wife and two cats.  We had fun and learned a lot about the
country.  I can't remember ever doing a cross country trip without being
on a dirt road somewhere.  Mark's advice against the Interstate is
excellent.  Two years ago I got a room in Flagstaff AZ for $16.  And
there were cheaper.  Little towns.  Read the town newspapers too for
events.  Talk to waitresses in coffee shops (after people quit staring
at you) about what is happening.  Wear work clothes, neat but not
fancy.

The biggest challenge in photographing America today (and soon the
world) is the proliferation of franchises, and logos, and commercial
T-shirts.  But places still exist with real live small businesses,
country fairs, and farmers sitting under trees drinking iced tee brought
by their wives.  Yup.

donal
- --
Donal Philby