Subject: Re: [Leica] May I dare a Leica (LTM) question ?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 07:51:20 -0400

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 1999 2:37 AM
Subject: [Leica] May I dare a Leica (LTM) question ?

> 1) Is there a trick to load this thing reliably ?
Yes- using scissors, cut the tongue of the film longer,  about 4", and it
loads MUCH more easily!

> 2) Is the rangefinder precise enough for 50mm f2 shooting ?
Mine sure works for me! The Leica Rangefinder is incredibly accurate- I am
sure that even as early as the IIIc that quite a bit of work went into
making sure it was accurate.

> 3) Is it normal that the rangefinder is so dark and very hard to use
(ghost
> image barely visible)
The IIIc was known to have three common shortcomings- one, being made right
after the war, there was a shortage of chrome, and as a result, some early
IIIcs were prone to pitting or flaking of the chrome. two- the shutter
curtains tened to be less durable. many IIIc have dry cracking shutters
curtains, but they are easily replaced, so a competent tech would be able to
fix that problem, should it arise.
and third- the beamsplitter will often lose it's half-silver coating, making
the rangefinder image very dim, but when I had mine, I found that it's
possible to still get NEW ones from some repair places, or to have them
re-silvered. All the LTMs I have had, even my nearly mint IIIf were
suffering from neglrect and long storage in a drawer or closet. A good CLA
will go a long way to bring these jewels back to specs- and if you keep
using it, and not let it sit idle for years, it'll be good for another 20-30
years, easily!
> 4) Is it normal that the aperture ring of the Summitar is very hard to
turn
> ?
>
> This IIIC is very nice looking and very decorative. It was also the first
> time that I've been approached on the street by someone saying: "wow, is
> that a Leica ? " . Never did anyone react that way for my black taped
black
> M6  ;-)
>
> But I really wonder if it makes any sense trying to use that object.....
Do
> the LUG LTMers have special caveats and advices to give to turn this setup
> into something really efficient ?
You didn't say what lens you were using, but the older Summicron is really
nice, quite able to hold its own against a lot of modern glass. A large
number of us favor the Elmar 50/3,5, even though it is not as sharp. It is,
however, one of the  most compact lenses you'll find when it is retracted,
and makes the IIIc, or any LTM for that matter, easily slipped into a
pocket. Learn the 'Sunny 16' rule, and you can get about 85-90% of the shots
you make to be printable, even without a meter! Fantastic little cameras
once you get the hang of them!

> Thanks beforehand,
>
> Alan

Welcome to the wonderful world of LTMs, Alan! Just think, when you get that
Heliar 15/4,5, it'll fit right on that LTM without any adapter necessary!
Dan