Subject: Re: [Leica] Useful tripod ?
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:40:42 EDT

In a message dated 6/14/99 12:43:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
christian.payot@span.ch writes:

<< I already have a big (old) Manfrotto Tripod and I am looking for something
 lighter.
 How useful is the small Leica tripod (Nr 14100) for a M6 ?
 Any opoinion or advice welcome...

 Thanks

 Christian Payot >>

Check out the Gitzo model 026 (or the 001 if you don't care about
individually-adjustable leg angles).  It weighs about 2.5 lbs.  With the
extensible telescoping (2-section) center column it reaches a reasonable
height but at some sacrifice in steadiness...should be fine for an M Leica
with 90 or less and no wind blowing.  I personally removed the telescoping
center column in favor of a short column made by Kirk Enterprises.  The
tripod goes only to my waist, so I have to get on one knee, but I've
supported a heavy AF SLR with 80-200 f2.8 lens on it (Kaiser ballhead) and so
long as I practice good technique (camera tight to my face, hand over lens,
mirror up, etc.) I get sharp images at speeds of 1/15, 1/8 etc.  The Leitz
Table Tripod is a favorite of mine (I have a small army of them and a couple
dozen Leitz ballheads from various eras in my collection.  Anybody needing
historical info on Leitz ballheads, just let me know!) and I use one
frequently.  Amazing how some folks don't realize you can brace it against
*vertical* surfaces like walls and doorjambs, too!  There's also a clone sold
under the Canon name.  It's quicker to set up than the Leitz pod because the
legs have stops, but the ballhead is a flimsy piece of junk.  Fortunately it
unscrews and you can use a Leitz.  Finally, Manfrotto/Bogen makes the
smallest table pod I've seen that's still well-finished and sturdy.  You can
buy a telescoping center column with it which makes it taller and also makes
a great shoulder stock!
And in a message dated 6/14/99 1:35:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,