Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar and Depth of Field marks
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 00:15:37 +0800

>It has been suggested (by a Minox user, but I've lost the URL) that
>for distant scenes, it is better to focus at infinity rather than
>hyperfocal. The argument in favor of this involves perspective
>geometry, which is as much off-topic as Rolex, Mont Blanc, and
>Rolls Royce.
>
>Richard S.

I can think of two reasons for focussing at infinity for distant scenes:
1) The distant-scene image will be in sharp focus, instead of being just
'acceptably' out of focus - which it would be if the lens is set at the
hyperfocal distance.
2) (On topic for Leica M) The viewfinder markings will be in the right
place to correct for distant-scene parallax (possibly not all that
significant a difference)
3) You get more scenery on each frame of the film.
4) I can't think of a fourth reason.
5) Not at seven minutes to midnight.
6) Regards
7) Malcolm
8) Singapore
9) Car by SAAB, pen by Waterman, beer by Timothy Taylor, overdraft by
NatWest, home by Friday