Subject: Re: [Leica] M in action/repair discussion
From: "John Hudson" <jahudson@direct.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:18:02 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Gary Klein <gklein@excel.net>
To: Leica Users Group <leica-users-digest@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tuesday, June 15, 1999 9:37 AM
Subject: [Leica] M in action/repair discussion

snip

>I want to send in my 90mm some day and I think Sherry will get the job,
>although I was very pleased with DAG's work on my M4-2.  I vow never to
send
>stuff to Leica (subject to change of course)  unless its under warranty as
>like the fast and most excellent service I have received from independants.

Here in Vancouver one of the principal repair shops declines to handle Leica
simply because they are not able to get original Leica parts. Another reason
they cite is that if they were to do repair work not requiring the
installation of new parts they are exposing themselves to what Leica Canada
labels as "tamper damage" if the camera subsequently needed official Leica
service work to rectify previously unsuccessful  independent repair work.
The repair shop tells me that  Leica Canada has an uncanny ability of being
able to detect non-franchised service work and that the camera owner would
be told by Leica Canada that his / her camera has been tampered with by a
non-Leica repair facility. To avoid the potential for being labelled as a
"tamperer" and generaly muddying its otherwise fine reputation this
Vancouver repair shop simply avoids Leica period.

jh