Subject: [Leica] Home page of New Orleans
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:33:48 +1000

>Hi Alastair,
>
>Looks like fun there!
>
>The very first photo from People and Scene of New Orleans (your wife (?)
>standing by doorway with overhead lighting) is eye catching. So is the
>female silhouette against window.  I imagine it was all done handheld.
>Can you provide any details of what it took to make those shots and what
>film / settings were used. I'm always afraid of underexposure so i have
>not tried film speed slower than 1600 for night scenes.
>
>I'm also impressed by how fast the pictures come up when you click on
>it. What does it take to put images onto website if you are starting
>from scratch ie. no website and no scanner.?
>
>Regards,
>bee lian

Yes New Orleans was a lot of fun. The night shots are all Noctilux and hand
held, with the two you mention being Kodachrome 200 the first at 1/15 f1
and the second 1/30 f1 or there abouts. I did do a night down Boubon st
with 800 print film, but these images seemed to capture the mood and place
better. I may some time scan the print negs and publish some of them on a
Noctlux celebration page. The image of the sidewalk portrait painter is f1
at only 1/8 of a second and the oil painter with the face mask about 1/30.

As for the speed of loading, its a trick that a friend showed me some time
ago and involves loading the images when the viewer is reading or unaware
so that his/her browser loads them from cache later. I have not done that
to the X-pan images, and I should redo those pages sometime. For this to
work however, you must wait for the thumbnail images to fully load.

In order to make a website, all you need is a word processor, a browser,
time to "muck" around, and digital images. I started with Photo CD's, and
in some ways, I wish I could afford to have kept doing that, but I bought a
"slow" Nikon Coolscanner. I would suggest for a beginner to buy a flat
document scanner, which are quite cheap, and scan prints rather than negs.
Much faster, and not too bad for detail etc. Then learn to use photoshop.
You can buy web site writers, but I prefer to download examples and look at
the original HTML and make up my own mainly with trial and error. If i can
do it, it cannot be too hard as I'm no computer wizz by any shakes. [I
could not do it on windows I suspect, as the Mac is easier to navigate
images etc on at least for me]

If you want any more information, let me know, but I'm late for work again ;-)

cheers

Alastair Firkin