Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica NJ
From: Javier Perez <japho@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:54:17 -0400

That used to happen to me all the time
I would call Rockliegh at 201 767-1100
and say "Parts Department Please"
No touch tone service back then,
just a girl with a delicious voice.
Then I'de get tranferred and a tech
would pick up.
Almost invariably if the part was not
worth the cost of shipping, they would mail
it out free! I remember the time they sent
me a free new front element for my 19 elmarit,.
Had you going for a minute dindn't I!
Seriously though, most of that old cheap stuff has now gone up in price
to the point that it can't be given away. For example
the last time I needed a pair of decorative pc contact
screw on cover rings, they just gave them away. Now
they cost 8 bucks a piece. An M series shutter curtain
used to be 6 bucks, now it's 60! I can't believe that
inflation since 1983 or so and economies of scale account
for this. An M series top has gone from about 190 to 385
I was afraid to ask the price on an R3 lens flange.
The price increases wouldn't worry me by themselves.
What really scares me is the possibility that the company's
profitability has sunk so much that they've started recouping
losses on the parts. That would be down right dangerous
and a surefire indicator that the company won't be around
for long.
I hate to say this but I don't see Leitz surviving too far into
the next millenium without undergoing a huge metamorphosis.
The answer is clearly in the east. The Mainland Chinese, even
though they are a bunch of confounded Communists have what it
takes to build and assemble every part of an M except maybe for
the rangefinder. In my thoughts I have seen an Chinese M type chassis
sailing on a boat towards a European port and being attached there to a
rangefinder. The price? About 20 to 50 bucks a chassis. The cost of the
rangefinder? About 100 for Leitz. 750 for the rest of us? Lets remember
that the M bayonet patent runs out next year I think, so if Leitz doesn't do this
someone will do it for them. Then we'll really be talking about the good ole days.

See Ya
Javier