Subject: [Leica] The chronology of the Leica system - According to Leica
From: "Otto J. Anshus" <otto@CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:24:41 -0400

LUG,

This morning when having breakfast I browsed "Leica: The Program" as I often
do. I don't know why as I know it all, or so I thought. This morning I found
something new. Please look at page 5 in the English edition under "The
chronology of the Leica system. A success history".

For the first time it registered with me that Leica Germany has chosen to
mention the R system again and again (5 times) as landmarks in the history
of the Leica system. The M system is mentioned only once in 1954 (the M3). A
few lenses are mentioned, but only insiders understand their relation to the
M system. The M2, M4, M5, and the M6 in various versions are all of so
little significance to Leica that point and shoot and the peculiar S1 is
mentioned instead.

The M system does not exist. Long live the R and S system??

Otto