Subject: [Leica] Re: MLU
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:46:16 -0600

At 04:38 PM 16/06/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Dr. Black Tape Wonders...
>
>Isn't Nikon's not being able to figure out how to include MLU in the new
>F100 just about as stunning as Leica's not being able to figure out how to
>include both a battery and a self-timer in an M6? What is this world coming
>to?

You can count the number of current 35mm SLRs on the fingers of your hands
that offer mirror lockup.  Even some pro cameras don't have it.  I opt for
using cameras with mirror lockup whenever possible, but I have two that
don't have it.  I don't use them when I need MLU.  One argument I've seen
regarding why it is not included on more cameras is that the mirrors are so
well dampened that it is not needed.  I suspect that may be so, in part,
but not having MLU really causes problems in some applications,
well-dampened mirror or not.  The well-dampened mirror excuse is one way of
justifying keeping down the cost of production by eliminating one
additional costly feature to include.  The marketplace is very competitive,
and shaving off a hundred bucks off the retail price for a feature that
many people don't use can help sell a product against what the competition
has to offer.  You're right about the F100 -- a darn nice camera, but
without MLU many serious users will look for something different.