Subject: Re: [Leica] The agony of the wait.
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:03:39 -0500

>Hi Bob,
> I think it should be a punishment for wayward photographers who get out of
>line..
>
>JUDGE: "You are to serve the next ten years covering golf!"

Gosh, Ted, I always found golf to be the most challenging and fun sport
to shoot...the best was covering the Masters in Augusta, GA.

Having to keep up with all the players on the course, their scores, what
hole they were on, who hit which ball, what angle made the best photo,
where to position yourself knowing that it would be damn near impossible
to move after getting into location.  All of it made it a very mentally
challenging sport to cover, not to mention the physical aspect of
trekking all over a course for 12 hours with a 400 2.8, and at least 2
other bodies and various lenses and film.  I know it does not sound like
fun, but I loved every minute of it....oh and I forgot the BEST looking
women go to PGA tourney's.

The thing that sets the Masters apart from every other tournament in the
world is that as a photographer you are part of the Gallery...not allowed
inside the ropes.  This makes the job of tracking the ball and selecting
your shooting position paramount.  If you get it wrong you can't change.

Oh and I am not a golf fan...at the masters I had to ask people in the
gallery who the players were....just love shooting the sport, can't stand
to watch it.  It is like watching paint dry, I think.

Best regards,
Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net
http://www.mcclary.net