Subject: Re: [Leica] Forties Film in metal canisters, Nitrate
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:33:04 -0400

Mark-
Not too much danger. Cellulose Nitrate was one of the 'first' plastics, and
was used to make detachable collars way back when, and billiard balls- and
even piano keys as it was a cheap substitute for ivory.
I had heard of a story where a pool player, holding a cigar, happened to
touch a ball with his hot ash while making a shot ( I understand he didn't
complete it!), but it was used commonly for combs, brush handles, and even
toothbrush handles- under the name 'Celluloid'. In fact, I have a recipe in
my Chemistry and Physics handbook from 1946 that calls for dissolving
toothbrush handles in acetone to make a varnish for sealing aquariums!
Probable aking to the butyl 'dope' used on fabric airplanes, way back when,
again.
Even as recently, as the 60's I had celluloid guitar and banjo picks, and
they were fun to burn in an ashtray!
The celluloid was made flexible with the addition of a 'plasticizer' ,
usually camphor, and unless you have a vault full of the stuff, I wouldn't
worry.
If it does bother you, put it in a metal can with a lid, and rest easy!
Dan- Trafficker in Odd Knowledge.( Known as the "Answer Grape" to really
close friends....:o}~ )