Subject: Re: [Leica] Let's Settle the MLU question...
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:49:26 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/99 7:59:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< And by the way, while Dr. Black Tape doesn't necessarily argue with
 Keppler's conclusion that images made at a 60th with MLU are sharper than
 those without, he wonders how many images Keppler was unable to make because
 he couldn't see them through his blacked out viewfinder. :-) >>

I keep one of those generic 35-200 zoom viewfinders (off-brand clones of the
Nikon Varifocal 35-135 for the old Nikon rangefinder; you can find them for
$50 or so) in the flash shoe of my SLR.  It helps to pre-select lenses
(lesson learned from Leica M) and also to continue framing while the mirror
is locked up.  Except for flash, I use my SLR 99% on a tripod and 99% with
MLU.  I know that's extreme and I know it's not the norm, but after comparing
similar hanadheld images with similar focal lengths at similar speeds between
an SLR and a Leica M, and comparing both to medium format, it's the
conclusion I've drawn for my personal photography.  In fact, more and more
I've shifted my 35mm photography to the M, except for "fancy flash", long
telephoto and macro.

DT