Subject: [Leica] Distracting diodes
From: Neil Frankish <nfrnkish@dux4.tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:43:15 +0100

Last night I took my M and a roll of TMZ3200 to an amateur theatre
production in which a friend was performing. The theatre is very small, and
I wanted to be at the front to get unobstructed photos. This meant I was
almost on the stage myself! (I used a 50 summicron although at times I
needed my 28) Despite the M's legendary quiet shutter, I was a little
concerned that the noise would be distracting (it seemed very loud to my
ears) and voiced my concerns at the end of the performance. You might
imagine my surprise at the comment that it was the little red light that
kept catching my actress friends eye!

I made a test at home and sure enough you can see a reflection of the
diodes through the viewfinder (though she must have the eyes of a hawk). In
the blackness of the audience, it was enough to be noticed. Maybe next time
I'll take out the battery. Anybody else noticed this?

Neil.