Subject: [Leica] Elecrostatic prob with R8
From: "Grégoire Vandenschrick" <vandenschrick@geog.ucl.ac.be>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:28:32 +0200

Hi, This is the first time I subscribe to the LUG.

I bought recently with a friend (hello Gilles) a second hand Leica R8, with
a 50 summicron, then after a while, I bought a summicron 90, all second
hand. The optics are really great.

I just had a syncop when, a day, without any advice, the little led screen
on the back of the camera displayed just after loading a film unrecognizable
pattern, I then open, then close, then open again the camera, advance the
film, and all was ok. I read carefully the notice, and it seems that the
camera is very electrostatic-sensitive. I wonder if this odd pattern
displayed by the led is just the effect of touching the contacts between
body and back, so making false contact, or static electricity, or is it
really an internal electronic problem. I have to mention that it was not
really a second hand body, the precedent possessor just bougth it on a
friday, realized it was impossible to make the point for him without
autofocus (poor man, sigh...) and sell it the monday after for a brand new
F5. So I don't consider it is really second-hand.

This misfunction occured two times and I would like to know if somebody had
the same experience with his R8?

Thanks for any response for that

Greg (sorry for my french transcripted english)
Gregoire Vandenschrick,   Assistant de recherche
Unite GEOG,  Departement GEO,  Faculte des Sciences
Universite  catholique  de  Louvain

email: vandenschrick@geog.ucl.ac.be
          vandenschrick@page.ucl.ac.be

Tel:    (00 32) 10   47 28 42
Fax:   (00 32) 10   47 25 56

Adresse postale:
          Bureau b275,  Etage b2,  Batiment Mercator
          3,   Place  Louis Pasteur
          1348         Ottignies - Louvain-la-Neuve