Subject: Re: [Leica] Heliar impressions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:44:13 -0400

Just to continue Henning J Wulff's line a bit further, both of the Hologon
versions are designed to work with a graduated filter to prevent edge
fall-off.  I don't want to speak for Henning, but recall that he found the
quality of the Zeiss filters mediocre.

I will point out that this doesn't jive with the experiences of any other
Hologon user I have encountered.

I would further suggest that substantial differences in optical performance
between either Hologon and the "Heliar" (gag me:  an honest Voigtlander
name being so abused!) might well show up with sufficient enlargement but,
as this focal length doesn't interest me, I'm not going to test any of them
for myself.  However, I encourage others with these lenses at hand to
either have a proper Erwin-style evaluation conducted or, at the least, to
compare images on 20" by 24" enlargements or greater.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!