Subject: Re: [Leica]M6 vs F100
From: "Bill O'Connell" <woc2@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 23:39:23 -0400

Having nothing better to do, well ok, many better things but none I chose over
this, I spent the day at a race track in Summit Point WV today.  I brought my
M6/noct and F100/80-200 2.8.  It should come as no surprise but the winner for
ease of use, ability to grab action shots, etc was the F100.  I'm sure that is
not a surprise to many.
Shot a lot with the M6 using the now famous large DOF hyper focal method to cut
down of focus.  Problem with that is most motor racing shots look better with a
shallow dof, which is no easy task with a rangefinder.  Aside from the length
of the lens, the M6 was much nicer to use in the pits, for most of the standard
reasons such as folks not noticing a 10' lens aimed at them.  One interesting
dumb move was trying to change the film quickly in the M6.  I somehow managed
not to hook the bottom on and part way through the roll it fell off!  Guess
that roll won't count.  Never did that before, and most likely won't again.
Between driving and instructing I managed to fritter away 6 rolls (+1).  Will
see the optical results in a few days.
Bill