Subject: Re: [Leica] MLU
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:42:28 -0700

Edward Meyers wrote:

> Sorry for repeating all the below stuff. When discussing the Mamiya lenses
> vs. Hasselblad lenses please take into account the superior film
> flatness of the Mamiya 6 and Mamiya 7. Hasselblad magazines have
> always exhibited problems with film flatness.><snip>So it ain't just the lenses.  Ed Meyers
>
> On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> > "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually Mark, all tests I have seen point to the fact that the Mamiya 6
> > > especially has remarkable optics that better Hasselblad's Zeiss optics.
> > >
> > > Peter K

> > ><snip>You've got those Hasselblad prints hanging on your wall.
> > > >

> > I thought I was up on the doings of the majority of magasizes but if
> > Mamiya is garnering those kinds of raves whether I happened to have seen
> > them or not it's probably got Hasselblad rethinking its marketing
><snip>very surprised when I prove it to myself that they have outdone
> > Zeiss. Anything is possible.
> > Mark Rabiner

The reverse curl of the Hasselblad magazine (oops are we on the lug) is
a famous engineering question mark (actually it would be more of an "&"
sign. In principle it should effect actual consistence of sharpness.
It's just as a 20 year Hasselblad user who has done much work of a
critical nature I have never had an ocasion to notice it in practice on
a print or slide and have never heard of anyone who has. Hasselblad
results are the cream of the crop. I've hung 20 20 by 24 hairstyle shots
on the wall and not had one of them be soft becuase of it landed on the
kink in the curl. Somewhere in the world are Rollei with even higher end
Schneider lenses and no reverse curl which might even outdo it but it
would be the lenses of the Rollei that would be the culprit. That's the
world of medium format system cameras as I see. Did Ansel Adams fire of
2 shots of something because he was afraid of reverse curl effect on one
of them? Who the hell knows but I think he would be more afraid of a scratch.
Mark Rabiner