Subject: Re: [Leica] Ebay advice
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:33:02 -0600

Gary Elshaw wrote:

> I managed to buy a IIIG this morning on ebay. The truly funny thing is i'd
> never been to ebay before, until the LUG discussion last week where people
> discussed how bad it is! The bad news is, I think the camera i bought is
> possibly fictitious. I've notified the ebay security department about the
> seller, and i'm hoping they may get some answers/assurances before me.

Gary, I've taken a look over the item in question, and note that the
seller has 3 postive feedbacks and no negative ones. This suggests to me
that *probably* they are essentially delivering the goods as promised.
Yes, it is very odd that the seller would have a handle like "Leicaincr"
yet not be able to positively identify a IIIG, however, dumb stuff like
that happens. The low winning bid reflects the uncertainty--yes, I think
you will get something, but whether it's a IIIG or some other,
mis-identified camera, I couldn't say. You can always email the folks
who provided this seller with positive feedback, too.

Give it a try and tell us how it works out.

Yes, I have gotten stunningly good this-can't-be-true deals on eBay, and
yes, they were true. But in general, you gotta keep a cool head, know
what an item is worth--to you--and be prepared to let someone else take
it if the bidding becomes too fierce. Especially on pricier items, you
should know precisely what you are buying--don't guess unless you can
afford to be wrong!

Jeff