Subject: Re: [Leica] M2 contrition (Leica Pox)
From: Javier Perez <japho@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 00:57:09 -0400

Howdy
I thought I was compleatly cured back in 1986
Leica free for 11 years!!!
But then about 2 years ago I bought a 35 Summicron R
Later came a few as-is items just to tinker and play
with. and then a body and another lens and another body etc.
Now I've spent myself silly and can't
seem to stop. There's always that one last item
that will make things allright. Where does it end?

In my desperation I've started looking
for a Summarit with ok glass... Just like
the one I used to have on an old 3a.
The small body with the fat lens was
real wicked looking and magnificently
balanced. The pictures were ok too.
Anybody got one at a good price?

See Ya
Javier

PS: The following is a list of the most common rationalizations for buying and
owning Leitz

It's an investment (in what?)
I need it for my work (Yeah right, So I can take pictures of the computer
network I babysit)
I need the advanced flash metering so I can take indoor pictures of my family
(for newer Rs only)
I need a fourth M body to use sort of as a film back
It will pay for itself by improving my pictures which i will sell, and use the
money to buy Philips stock and ...
A second system for spouse, girlfriend or offspring (but they aren't allowed to
touch or even see it)
I need a more compact lens of the same focal length as the one I have (old
version 90 summicon M owners)
I need a faster lens even if it's heavier and bulkier than the one I own (90
tele-elmarit owners)
The flex standard would make the R body collection compleat (except for the
ver2, mots and special eds, .2s and R8)
Relatives don't know what else to get me on birthdays
Rommel's IIIa
This R8 reminds me of my granfather's old VX2a
A lens isn't compleat until it has the entire filter set.
A focomat and pradovit are necessary in order to compleat the spending circle.
I need the M for wideangle and the R for tele
The Fuhrer's used this one to take pictures of Blondie
This summicron seems to have a more greenish multicoat than mine. I must
compare and learn
Something to fill that empty spot in the camera bag.
Normal people have never heard of Leitz so I can take pictures in crowds
unnoticed
I intend to blow up my pictures bigger than me.
It's cheaper than having to buy a Nikon outfit every 5 years. (Those darned
things are so unreliable)
My eyesight is so lousy that I can't focus Rs anymore and can't seem fo find a
diopter. Will have to get an M
My light meter is inside my head +- 1/4 f stops
I do extensive stereo imaging (doubles on everything types)
They remind me of guns
The bubble is a collectors item but the guy won't sell it without the lens
inside.
This piece is "significant"
It's always better to take along brand new equipment on trips to exotic places
like Jersey

Good Night Ladies