Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica prototype
From: Xavier Logean <xavier.logean@epfl.ch>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:31:27 +0200

Good evening all ;-)

Beside the fact that the Leica M6 system is "a total approach
to photography" it is NOT perfect,
I think there are still a large opportunities for evolutions
in the M cameras:
- -The first one is the shutter speed and the synchro X.

- -the second is the viewfinder with variable magnification according to the
lens mounted.
(e.g, always the same frame but the magnification change)

- -and probably other

And I agree that there is a market for simpler and cheaper M camera
(as the M2 at its time).

regards,

Xavier

Andre Jean Quintal wrote:

> Good Morning Roger, and all,
>
>         YES, I agree with you: the M6 is a pro tool.
>         I'm not advocating a specific this or that,
>         just voicing what I think would be ANOTHER
>         viable LEICA brand (and quality) product.
>
>         Audio freaks resisted giving up their vinyls
>         but their system parameters are antiquated
>         and wouldn't sell, though I can understand they are
>         happy with vinyls.
>
>         To me, the M6 system is a SYSTEM,
>         a total approach to photography.
>
>         BUT, LEICA will eventually come up with
>         INTERMEDIATE offerings, most probably somewhere
>         between a point-and-shoot and a M6 TTL.
>         I happen to think the LEICA M6, and variants,
>         will remain the wonderful pinnacle they truly are,
>         but there is a place and a market in between the Minilux
>         Zoom and the LEICA M6, in LEICA's very own
>         markets and distribution system, worldwide.
>         I would hope the LEICA people agree to pursue
>         a broader, more mass appeal market, retaining their
>         philosophy and quality, with HYBRID products
>         that stand borderline between SLR and rangefinder,
>         that the average joe can use twice a year
>         and be assured of outstanding results,
>         and that do not require spin maven to sell...
>         Hoping that what next comes from LEICA will be
>         enough of a product to sell on merit at more
>         accessible price points, while the flagship
>         M6 and R8 continue to evolve and remain
>         references in their own right.
>         Part of my point, too, was that it's quite difficult
>         to make the M6 evolve much further without a major
>         and extremely costly re-design, taking into account
>         the general enchantment of the M6 crowd,
>         internationally even.
>
>         I was hitting [ hinting ? ] for a notch below,
>         a bit like the Harley Davidson 'Sportster' ...
>
>         Andre Jean Quintal
>
> At 07:15 -0700 23/06/99, Roger Beamon wrote:
> >On 23 Jun 99, Andre Jean Quintal wrote, at least in part:
> >
> >>  -- it would, perhaps, make more sense to develop
> >>   a totally different product that banks
> >>   on LEICA optics.
> >>   I'd tend to vote for a black titanium body rangefinder
> >>   that looks like an SLR, has auto everything,
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> >Yuck, Andre! I wouldn't go near that 'dream camera'. Precisely
> >why I sold my EOS 1n kit.
> >
> >It's "horses for courses" for me. That's why I own an M6 and a
> >R6.2. I do recognize, however, the enormity of that market; just
> >hope that Leica doesn't pursue it.
> >
> >--
> >Roger
> >mailto:roger@beamon.org
> >
> >    Forecasting is very difficult,
> >    especially if it involves the future.
> >            -- Casey Stengel
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>    "Of course, everybody knows pigs rule this World."
>
>                 Miss Piggy, in a private interview
>                 leading to her authorized life story.

Logean Xavier                            e-mail: xavier.logean@epfl.ch
Swiss Federal Institute                  Phone : ++41 21 693 52 57
of Technology Lausanne  (EPFL)           Fax   : ++41 21 693 66 10
Computer Science Department (DI)         url   : http://icawww.epfl.ch
Institute for computer Communications and Applications (ICA)
CH-1015 Lausanne