Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Lame Brian Bower Book
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:32:22 +0100

At 09:57 AM 6/23/99 EDT, you wrote:
<snip>
> It certainly does not seem difficult to create these comparisons.  A person
> like Bower who has already built a track record with a publisher willing to
> print a high quality book (and presumably has access to a wide selection of
> lenses) should have little trouble getting the job done if he were willing.
> (obviously he is not)
> Wouldn't a series of high quality PHOTOGRAPHIC comparisons do a lot to take
> the VooDoo out of this subject?
> Dan>>
>
>I think there might be a problem in getting the nuances of lens
>performance
>to show clearly through all the printing process, especially if you're
>talking about very minute characteristics such as what Erwin reports on.
>DT

This is food for thought. Imagine if such a book were published, including
images from a range of Leica lenses and discussing the many optical
advantages of the more recent lenses, but the pictures all looked as good
as one another, or nearly so? When you remember that microscope examination
of slides is used to make some of the comparisons, such a result does not
seem so very unlikely. Maybe this is why such a book has not been produced.

Joe Berenbaum
mailto:joe-b@dircon.co.uk