Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL Question in Jobo
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:55:53 -0700

"Robert G. Stevens" wrote:

> Ken:
>
> Jobo and xtol work great, but with some dilutions, the tanks will not hold
> enough developer to do the film capacity of the tank.  Jobo has a page on
> it, and if you read it carefully, it says you need 200ml of full strength
> developer per roll.  They also go on to say that as little as 140ml per
> roll works with some Kodak films.
>
> http://www.jobo-usa.com/jobofoto/bulletins/xtol.htm
>
> What this means is with 1:3 dilution, to do one film, you should add at
> least 560ml of diluted solution, or 600ml if you use the 200ml per film
> figure.  This is too much solution for the jobo tanks, where a one reel
> tank take 140ml, a two reel 260ml, and a three reel tank combo taking
> 470ml.  I guess you could do one roll in the four reel tank that takes
> 590ml.  As you see, dilutions and Jobo's can be complicated.  Using an
> eight reel tank, you may be able to develop two rolls of film!  This is all
> fine, if you have the larger tanks, but limiting if all you have is the
> 260ml, two roll tank.
>
> I tend to use Xtol undiluted with the jobo.  I have since gotten the larger
> tanks and may try it 1:1.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert
>
><snip>
With a normal metal tank that I use each roll takes 250 of solution
total. That would leave almost no room for dilution according to what
you are quoting and saying!!!
At 1:3 I end up using 62.5 mls of Xtol per roll and with excellent
results @ 14 minutes. No problemo.
For 30 years I've had no problem with rolling film back to back on one
reel giving me 16 roll capacity in an 8 roll 2 liter tank.
That brings me to 31.25 of Xtol per roll. A tad less then the Kodak
recommended minimum of 200 as you quote. But it needs 18 minutes!
However I did get some dicronic fog which cleared after extended fresh
fixing so I am not compleatly sold on that extreme.
Mark Rabiner
Grainless but not Brainless