Subject: Re: [Leica] R 6.2/R8
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 00:23:16 -0400

SNIP
<<The R6.2 is the finest mechanical SLR available>
SNIP
<<The R7
is the most refined and bug free R camera in the R3 to R7 chain. One
feature of the R7 that I find an absolute necessity (I traded up from R6 to
R7 for this feature) is 1/2 shutter speeds>
SNIP
<<I  use
my R7's in manual mode always. But the R7 has those little extras that make
it worthwhile.>>

Yes, that's basically my line of thought there.  But the R8 in manual mode
has the equalizer which is sort of fun, for a Leica - you know it's like the
most exciting thing Leica has ever done.  Also the R8 I think balances the
R-lenses better - as it's proportion/size seems to keep an even balance
giving the feeling that the lens is part of the camera, for most lenses.
There is something that 'pops' with the shutter.  It's perhaps the opposite
of the M6's pop but somehow is also very satisfying. But I don't like to
have to turn a camera off.  Having to turn it on and off is a step in the
wrong direction.  I've also had such reliability with my other R's.  Still,
it's all talk when you throw on the 100/2.8 and aim and shoot.  I find it a
quick shooter, and an accurate one at that.   The R7 is I think the M6 in R.
NO! not too much...  It is a great R and anything more you end up with
something a bit strange like the R8 and the M7 will be, if it comes,
somewhere in the R8 so what's next business, unless Leica tiptoes very
quietly.