Subject: [Leica] 500mm reflex blues
From: "Gary Klein" <gklein@excel.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:09:49 -0500

Kent,
Why the heck didn't Leica make their 500mm reflex focus nearer than 4
metres?

The primary reason why some lenses have a certain minimum focus point is the
lens designer felt that was as close as one could go with that optical
formula.  Remember, Leica has higher standards of image quality than "brand
X".  The lens designer wanted to have as few compromises in image quality as
possible.

Don't send it back, just get yourself a short extension tube! You don't
event have to worry about mechanical connections as there is no aperature
mechanism on it.   Yeah you may not be as happy with the result due to
optical compromise, but if you need closer focus, that would be a way to do
it cheaply.  Professional Camera in NYC has been known to make lenses focus
closer than the factory specification.  Of course you are talking real money
here for such a conversion.

If you think the Leica 500 focus is far away, how about if you owned a 500mm
f5 Nikkor  (their first 500mm reflex) for my F series Nikon?  It only
focuses to 50 feet,  or 15 meters.  I wouldn't sell that lens for anything.
I think you have to think about how you are going to use it.  I do every now
and then stick on a short extension tube onto the 'ol f5 and it does focus
rather nice and close.

gck