Subject: [Leica] close focus rangefinder setting
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:37:06 +0100

I know that this is a bit old now but I've been catching up with all the LUG
digests and this was of particular interest;

>Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:49:08 -0400
>From: Edward Berger <EdBerger@compuserve.com>
>Subject: [Leica] close focus rangefinder setting
>
>I recently traded in my 35mm f/2 Summicron for the ASPH version.  I noticed
>that with both lenses on the M6, you can turn the focus lever beyond the
>0.7 m setting which is supposed to be the minimum focus range for these
>lenses.  The rangefinder, however, does not function past the 0.7 marking.
> I called Leica to make sure that this wasn't a rangefinder problem.  Their
>service manager assured me that this is normal, and that if you want to
>experiment, you can actually determine how much closer than 0.7m you can
>get.  It seems to me that this is rather inconvenient.  You can't simply
>turn the focus lever clockwise until it stops and then move the camera back
>and forth to arrive at the closest focus distance because you will be
>beyond the range of the rangefinder.  To achieve closest verifiable focus,
>it seems you have to set the distance at 0.7m (the point at which the
>rangefinder takes effect) before moving in and out to focus.  Has anyone
>else encountered this problem, or have I misunderstood something?
>
>Ed

thanks for this - I have a habit of setting the lens to its closest setting
when I want to get close and rocking back and forth until I get it. Often at
the widest apertures. Probably everyone else does similar. My rangefinders
seem to stop moving at about 0.6metres, the 35mm f2 lens turns to about
0.55. I haven't noticed a problem with the M6 getting wrong focus when
focussing as close as possible, but I'll be alert to it. (Maybe it has
happened and I've just blamed myself!). Has anyone had failed pictures
because of this?

Alex

                         alex@zetetic.co.uk
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~abrattell/