Subject: Re: [Leica] Have High Hopes for Heliar
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:09:56 EDT

In a message dated 6/24/99 2:53:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< This is what makes for horse races, or photos of horse races....If I could
 only own one Leica lens, without question it would be the 35 Summilux
 ASPH...I find the 35 to be the ideal focal length...I think the ideal
 two-lens outfit would be the 35 S ASPH and the 75 Summilux.... >>

Now, see, I agree with you here completely.  If I have to go with only *one*
lens it would also be a 35.  75 is a nice counterpart to the 35, being 2x the
35.  I wish Leica made a 75 Summicron or Elmarit, like about the size of the
old 90 Tele-Elmarit.
I do own and love the 75 Summilux.  Incredible performance, especially
considering it's almost a 20 year old design.  Came out the same year as the
non-ASPH 90 Summicron but blows it away at the wider f-stops.  I don't do
much "available darkness"-type photography, so for me the 75 is *instead* of
a 50 f1 or 1.4 *and* a 90 f2.  It's such a schnozz on the M6, though, that I
don't regularly carry it.

DT