Subject: Re: [Leica] HCB method
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:29:58 -0400

> Yes, but....... this was all a long time ago, and back then people
> didn't feel assaulted when they got a camera stuck in their face. Now
> that things have changed (somehow), even "decent" people feel that
> strange urge to assault the photographer, instead. Or sue you for
> whatever and for nothing at all. But that's just part of US culture,
> these days; the suing part, I mean.
>
> Bernard

I read these sentiments a lot.  Yet, I wonder . . . . Has anyone here
actually been assaulted or threatened (sneers and quizzical/dirty
looks don't count) when engaged in up-close street photography with a
Leica M?  I'm talking about major cities, busy sidewalks,
well-trafficked areas, etc.  Questionable neighborhoods, nefarious
activities, war zones don't count.  The reason I ask is because I do a
fair amount
of street work, getting close (3 to 6 feet/1 to 2 meters) to people
while attempting to be unnoticed.  I've photographed in New York, on
the subway in Boston, on a water taxi in Baltimore, anywhere I can
find
active groups of people interacting..  To my delight and constant
amazement, people NEVER react.  It's as if they can't imagine I am
actually taking their picture.  After all, why would I?  If someone
does
make eye contact, I usually just smile or shrug and move on.

To stay totally on topic, I use an M6 with either a 35 Summicron-M or
28 Elmarit-M,  Tri-X or Kodachrome 64, depending on my mood and
locale.  I carry my gear in a tiny Tamrac 601 bag.  I figure (and
hope)
that I look like a tourist.

Rob