Subject: [Leica] Visoflex Basics
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:09:36 -0400

At 10:34 AM 6/25/99 EDT, JimmyVenus@aol.com wrote:
>Dear Luggers-I am in need of some info regarding the Visoflex.Would this
unit
>enable me to focus my M lenses thru the lens with my M camera? In
>essence-turning my rangefinder into an SLR for certain applications? What
are
>the differences between the models if any? Can I use one of these units with
>all of the M lenses or only longer focal lengths? Does the Visoflex require
>any exposure compensation?

There are two families, the original PLOOT and Visoflex I, and the later
Visoflex II, IIa, and III.  The PLOOT was available in thread-mount only,
the Visoflex III in M-mount only, and the others are available in either
mount, though finding an LTM Visoflex IIa can be a royal pain and a real
problem, and, no, mine is NOT for sale!

These move the lens out from the camera body by the depth of the reflex
housing, 91.3 mm for the PLOOT/Visoflex I, and 68.5mm for the later units.
Hence, lenses cannot just be moved to the Visoflex, as you lose infinity
focusing.  Leitz made a range of Viso-only lenses, from the 65mm Elmar to
the 800mm Telyt, though, and many other lenses, especially the
rangefinder-coupled long-focus lenses, have removeable lens-heads which can
be fitted to the Visoflex or to the Bellows units.  The lens head of the
50mm rigid and NF Summicron could be fitted to the Visoflex units, as well,
but only for close-up work, while the Zeiss Mikrotar and Luminar and Leitz
Micro-Summar, Milar, and Photar close-up lenses can also be used for
macrophotography.  (I regularly document cameras and lenses with my Bellows
II rig and either a 25mm Zeiss Luminar, 24mm Micro-Summar, or 80mm
Micro-Summar.)

Exposure compensation is necessary when you are taking close-ups, otherwise
not.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!