Subject: Re: [Leica] 75 Summicron
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:20:48 -0400

Henry and all,

	My hunch is there is an excellent market for
	a less expensive and up-to-date LEICA brand 75mm lens
	in both the M and R ranges.

	Actually, 75mm happens to be a focal length
	that lends itself so some impressive optical performance
	per technical dollars injected into developing
	and manufacturing such a product,
	even without resorting to ASPH or FLE technologies
	if you can live with f/2.8 or f/3.4 where, it seems,
	it is easier to "come out" with impressive MTF curves,
	and the elusive five star subjective approval of "nuts" like the
	LUGNUTS and other "cote d'amour" types...,
	and most non-descript well informed prosumers.

	So, I assume an APO-Summicron (M & R) 75mm
	f/2.8 priced like the Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8
	would be a "natural" for many people who are
	considering joining the LEICA fan club
	and is not that far off, most probably.

	Photo wise, I "naturally" tend to get zoom lenses
	I use around that value (60-75mm) for quite natural casual
	portraits: not that much noticeable compression
	of the planes and still feasible to think 3D at 60-75mm
	while composing the image.

	At least, LEICA dreams don't cost much !

	Andre Jean Quintal

At 11:06 -0600 25/06/99, Henry Ambrose wrote:
>>	--> As concerns a 75mm Summicron, R and M:
>>	     for the f/2, you may be off and might as well
>>	     go crazy and buy the 75mm f/1.4 that's staring
>>	     at you $o lovingly.
>>	     Otherwise, try your luck for a f/2.8 75mm Summicron
>>	      "vaporware" beauty and start saving the price
>>	      or first installment [ ! ] of an Elmarit f/2.8 90mm:
>>	      Great things come in small packages...
>>	      goes the French saying.
>>	      The winds of Solms may yet hold happy surprises...
>>	      I'm an old hand at sales and I'm convinced you're
>>	      trying to resist getting the 90mm that IS
>>                      within you reach and delivers lots and lots
>>	      for the money you part with, and VERY DEFINITELY
>>	      would open up your photo bag to so much more !
>>                      Go ahead and make the jump: life is so short.
>>
>>	     Andre Jean Quintal
>>
>>	--> PS: Would you be an established customer,
>>	      I'd offer a 30 / 60 / 90 arrangement or
>>	      a 50 / 25 / 25 three month deal. Perhaps should
>>	      you speak to you photoshop manager or owner ???

>>>Yes!
>>>A 75 Summicron f2 - the same size as the 90 Elmarit M.
>>>And focusing to .7 meter.
>>>And affordable.
>>>Henry
>>
>I have the 90 Elmarit M and I like it a lot.
>
>I wish it focused closer.
>
>I also like a slightly shorter length for a close portrait.
>
>So, I just thought a 75 f2 Summicron that is compact and focuses at .7
>meters would be nice. And maybe "only" $1500 or so new.
>
>Just wishful thinking.
>
>Henry

   "Of course, everybody knows pigs rule this World."

		Miss Piggy, in a private interview
		leading to her authorized life story.