Subject: Re: [Leica] hcb look in pix
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:09:37 -0700

Gary Klein wrote:

> Martin Howard noted:
>
> The shots are not massively sharp,
>
> but they do exhibit this increadible tonal structure. Is it the film?
>
> It is mainly due to the thick emulsion film that was used back then.  There
> was a ton of silver in the negs due to the technology at the time.  Even the
> TriX I used in 1975 is different than the Tri-x of what we can get today.
> Kodak has tweaked the formula from time to time.
>
> gck

And the TMax tab grain stuff is even thinner. If that thicker richer
look was desired it looks like a job for Brownie Film: Medium Format:
Thicker film on a larger surface spread out less in enlargement becasue
of less needed magnification.
And They still make Ilford films in 6 by 9 sheet which would I should
think be a case of extra thick medium format. I've often thought how
much fun it would be to play with those cute little film holders and
have a small Speed Graphic which I think are really cool cameras!
Mark Rabiner
And run it in Pyro!