Subject: [Leica] Re: Loading the film
From: "Aubin" <aubin@aa.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 07:51:30 -0700

Greetings,

As one who has been using the M6 for about 1-1/2 years now,
I still struggle with the film loading.

I have found that the blind faith "drop it in  and go" approach
works only when I have all the time in the world to load the
camera, such as when photographing architectural or scenic
subjects.

I use Fuji chromes, Kodak Print, and Ilford B&W films, and can
say that the Ilford Delta and Chromogenic films always go right
in and load, the Fuji films usually do this, Astia always, Velvia
mostly, and the Kodak films are about 50-50, the Chromogenic
and Royal Gold films being almost impossible to get right the
first time.

This may be statistically meaningless,  but I have found the
behavior to be as indicated after putting several hundred rolls
through.  I won't speculate as to whether it's film thickness,
shape of the leader, surface smoothness of the leader, or just
the frame of mind I'm in using these films at those times.

I have found that if I take the second or two extra to make sure
the film sprocket holes are aligned with the camera sprockets,
there is no failure to load and advance, but if I just plop it in, it's
an act of faith that is usually rewarded, but not always.

I accept the advice to drop it in and trust, so that is my usual
practice, but occasionally I just have to go back and re-do it.
This is accepted by me as part of the idiosynchracies of the
camera, its not a complaint.  If I was doing critical work where
the camera must be loaded at all times to get the money shots,
I'd carry a second or third body, and reload off the clock.

Maybe after a few thousand rolls of film the camera will get
broken in and function the way its expected to, or maybe the
little crimping wheel in the base needs tightening to pull the
prongs together tighter; I'll give it a few thousand more rolls
and then start to think about having it looked at.

Take care,

Norm