Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 mm Collapsible
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 11:48:43 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/99 9:55:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dkhong@pacific.net.sg writes:

<< I have used the Thin Elmarit and was devastated by the flare with even
 sidelighting insoite of an adequate shade.  I am using the current E46
 elmarit which is slightly better but flare is still noticeable with
 slightly angled backlighting.  I am now very careful to use it only with
 the main light behind me.

 On the other hand the 90 summicron is one superb lens and it is the top of
 the crop (no experience with the APO one though).

Sounds so strange to me.  I used (still have 'em) the fat and thin
tele-elmarits and experienced no flare-ups even with backlighting (as long as
the sun wasn't a point-source right in the shot, then got the usual diaphragm
reflections).  The hoods for those are nice and deep (made to use with the
135's as well).  The latest elmarit-M is also flare-free for me, with the
same exception.  I was concerned at first because the built-in hood isn't
quite as cavernous as the tele's.  OTOH, I was always lukewarm to the
Summicron.  An f2 90 (even a great one like the APO-ASPH) just doesn't appeal
to me.  Not worth the added bulk (compactness is one main reason I carry the
M6) for one stop.  I rarely shoot any lens wider than f5.6 or maybe f4, and
mostly at f8 to f16.  My only *fast* M lens is the 75 and for me it replaces
the need for a fast 90 *and* 50 .  When I carry it, it's usually alone or
just with the 28.
DT