Subject: Re: [Leica] Light leak in M6 (more)
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 18:44:04 +0100

At 06:02 PM 6/27/99 -0000, you wrote:
>I've just been re-examining the prints and negatives, and the mystery
>deepens!
>
>On the negatives which show the blue-haze problem, I can see that that
>there is a darkening which stretches into the gap between the
>negatives, i.e. onto film which isn't exposed in the film gate! It's
>hard to see how light could "leak" around the edge of the film gate...

It can't if it is coming through the lens! This really does sound like a
light leak that isn't coming from the general direction of the film gate at
all. Light leaks from the back of the camera can look like this. Earlier
you said;

>All three of the pics in question were taken with a shade in place and
>either in the shade or with the sun behind me, so I don't think it's
>flare. The only other possibility I can think of is a light leak - but
>if that was the case I'd expect to see many more affected frames given
>that I had the camera around my neck and with the lens cap off for
>several hours outdoors, and had about half a dozen lens changes
>outdoors.

The thing is, if light is coming in from the back of the camera, it might
very well not not happen while the camera is in direct contact with your
body, and only show up when you are holding the camera up with the light
behind you, or something like that. For example, my daughter took an old
Minolta XG-9 on holiday recently and there were light leaks on some of the
frames- but only four or five of them. It was definitely coming through the
back- or more accurately- around the back. On the remainder of the frames
she had the camera held close to her body and presumably no light got in.

Joe Berenbaum
mailto:joe-b@dircon.co.uk