Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 film loading
From: Ben Tuason <debugger@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 08:35:02 -0700

Using the official technique described in the manual, I used to have a 50-50
chance that the film leader would slip after the first wind.  I later realized
that I was doing the first wind exactly as I would do my "normal" winds, that is,
fast.  I have since been doing my first wind really, really slow, and  now I have
no problems at all with the film slipping from the take-up spool.

Another technique which I have done, which has has also perfectly worked, is
remove the spring inside the take-up spool.  I suggest doing this if you like to
wind before replacing the bottom plate.  This has the advantage of giving you the
chance to verify with absolute certainty, before you replace the bottom plate,
that the film has been properly loaded.  The reason for removing the spring is
that it pushes the film leader out of alignment from the sprocket holes.

Ben T