Subject: Re: [Leica] Fluorescent filtration
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:59:29 -0400

Harrison McClary wrote:

> Rob,
>
> I have never liked the fld's very much...I prefer using just the 30 m
> filter. If you use a 40 m you will have 10 too much magenta....will be
> pretty magenta.

SNIP

> ALso if you want to use a little flast fill go to a theratre company and
> get a full plus green and tape on your flash...this will match the green
> of the flourscents and the 30 m will knock it back out for ballanced
> slides.
>

> Harrison McClary

I have to agree with Harrison regarding FLD vs. 30 magenta. For generic
fluorescent filtration I find the 30M to be pretty universal, especially
if you kick a little fill-flash with 30 green on it. Skin tones render
correctly and whatever ambient deviation you have in the background is
usually not noticeable. Depending upon the type of flash you use you
might want to consider getting a swatch book of Rosco or Lee lighting
gels. The swatches are just about the perfect size for putting on the
face of a flash. Even better, if they still make them, was a sampler by
Roscoe called the Jungle Book. It had correction filters for all sorts
of weird situations that you're likely to encounter in real-life
shooting. The best thing about it was that it had 30, 15 and 7.5 green
and magentas as well as CTO in full, half and quarter, also blue as
well. Handy tool to have.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/