Subject: Re: [Leica] Last minute advice
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:26:59 -0600

>Three
>questions;
>Have any of you felt remorse over spending this kind of cash on a
>Leica outfit (I'm looking at $3000 U.S.), and if so, why?  Will my proposed
>set-up meet my 3 needs outlined above?  Should I buy it at B&H, Chatterton
>or where?
>Thanks in advance for your comments.
>Tim Kamke

 No remorse.

I came from a similar place you did in terms of a long experience with
Nikon and others.
You'll be both sorry and thrilled with your new Leica!

Sorry you did not do it sooner.

Thrilled because you're now seeing what 35mm is really capable of doing.
Once the money part is done I've had no regrets.

For me the 35 f2 Summicron Asph is the ultimate 35mm format lens. But
then I tend to see the world in 35 perspective. Somehow the 35 and the
Leica finder just fit.

If you use a 50 most of the time now, stick with it. I would pick the f2
for my use and yours given you statement "I want a camera with me all the
time"  its a little smaller than the f1.4

The best parts of Leica use is that ALL the apertures are usuable as you
choose with little if any difference in quality of result. What's sharp
is sharp, what's not is not.  Exquisite gradation.  Little or no flare.
Its the best glass in 35, maybe any format removing the advantage of
larger film area in MF cameras.

I just bought a body from Glazers in Seattle, they have a website and
have given good service. They had non TTL M6's really cheap. Also some
used stuff at OK prices.

I also suggest your local Leica dealer if you have one. Buying a camera
from them may help keep them in business and you'll probably want a good
camera store in your area. I do business locally as much as I can (the
local "pro" store here in Nashville is kind of lame but as I just statedŠ)

Henry