Subject: [Leica] ebay advice (reprise)
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 06:22:43 +1200

Hi All,

Well the saga of the IIIG has concluded. Two of the previous buyers
were deregistered for shill activity and the seller was suspended for
30 days. Considering the shilling was probably happening at the
seller's request it seems a little odd. But that is apparently ebay
policy.

After the  seller resisted going down the i-escrow route i suggested
that a friend would be able to pick up the camera from the U.S.
wherever it had been sent to; or have someone in Costa Rica pick it
up directly. I then received the following.

>I am so sorry I haven't written you an e-mail in such a long time.  Its been
>very hectic around here.  In regards to the camera, lets call off the deal.
>I have the camera here in Costa Rica, and a camera shop in San Jose is
>offering me US$1400.00 for it.  This is more convenient for me than an
>international transaction.
>
>I hope you understand.  I am sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.
>
>Verónica González Prado
>
>P.S.  I have a few other Leica cameras here.  I took them to see what they
>are.  When I go pick them up, I'll e-mail you the info to see if you would be
>interested in any of them if the shop in San Jose doesn't want them.

Am i angry about this? You bet. So either the camera is a fiction and
the seller realises she is in a no win situation; or because the
shilling didn't quite work out how she wanted it to, she can get more
for the camera from the store. To recapitulate, my winning bid was
for $770.00. I've spent the last couple of weeks of my life trying to
accommodate the sellers requests, as well as trying to get
information about the camera, and now this.

The sellers name/code is 'Leicaincr' and as soon as she is reinstated
you can look out for my name in the feedback column.

Thank you to all of you who gave such great advice throughout this ordeal.
Take care,
Gary

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of youthful
dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were the passive
conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during adolescence."

                 'The Uses of Disorder: Personal Identity and City Life'
                                             -- Richard Sennett
OO
[_]<|
  /|\