Subject: Re: [Leica] Viewfinder question
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 22:02:31 +1000

Zeissleica@aol.com wrote:

> I'm now the proud owner of a VIDOM viewfinder and was wondering how it
> compares to the IMARECT.  Also, I saw another viewfinder recently that looked
> similar to the VIDOM, but the image was reversed when one looked through it.
> Any ideas as to which it was?
>
> /Mitch

  Mitch,
 The Imarect (VIOOH) is the best of the Leitz adjustable viewfinders. The Imarect
has an adjustable mask from 35mm to 135mm. It also comes with a 28mm screw on
adapter. (the adapter is a collectors item and will set you back about $500US and
is a pain in the neck.) There're are a few different models Imarect . Some have a
marking for the 73mm lens and some for the 85mm lenses. It has an inbuilt prism
and shows the image correct.
The VIDOM  view finder is the follow up model of the VISOR Viewfinder and was the
Model before the Imarect. This Viewfinder will show the image right to left
reversed, and when you tilt the camera by 90 Deg. it will rotate the image by 180
Deg.. There is an adjustment on the exit pupille to correct this. Leitz in the
beginning tried to make this look like a feature. they said it would assist in
keeping the camera horizontal, because there was a magnification factor
involved.: Every 1 Deg Camera movement resulted in an 2 Deg
visual movement. However as soon as the Imarect was released, that bit of rubbish
was discontinued.
For Using, The Imarect is the preferable view finder.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Horst Schmidt