Subject: [Leica] Costa Rica and Latin American thieves in general
From: DABirkey@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 23:35:47 EDT

AS a qualifier, my family and I lived in Costa Rica for 11 months in 1993...
 I've lived in Ecuador since that time.... and visited elsewhere as well.  I
regularly take small groups of people on tours in areas where crime is often
a problem

In general, Costa Rica is pretty safe but crime is increasing like just about
everywhere else in Latin America...

There are typically two types of thieves,  pickpocket /non-confrontational
types and the armed give it to me or I shoot you types..

Thieves tend to work certain spots... and in general the same thieves work a
location until they are arrested or another group takes over their turf....
In general thieves work in teams..... In the case of pickpockets, a lookout,
a distracter or two, the lifter and another distracter or heckler in case you
would make them...

Say you are walking down a busy street toward the bus station.....  the
spotter checks you out and signals the distracter and the other members that
you are the target.....   I had one guy walk in front of me, hold up a red
handkerchief and point.... Which was quite obvious to me as well.....of
course I was carrying a metal halliburton case... and they couldn't slice
into that one so I wasn't real worried about my cameras....   But after
saying "Hey thief" in Spanish with a rather strong glare the signaler cowered
into another street rather quickly.  Eye contact is the best deterrent
because they have to muster up courage to rob you when you may be aware of
their intent.... Of course a woman who makes lots of eye contact with men...
will get hissed at lot (sort of a cat call) in Costa Rica and a few unwelcome
advances....

I've caught pickpockets trying to lift things from others and at 6' 2" with a
lot of adrenaline I can grab both wrists and shove people against a wall
rather quickly.....   This is not recommended with confrontational types on a
lonely street...  It works best when your group is near by.... But if someone
points a gun at you don't resist or hesitate, calmly give it to them, I
wouldn't recommend shouting... I knew a guy in Ecuador who was shot and
killed when he yelled after some thieves who were walking down to his car
after he had already given them the keys to it...  they thought he was going
to chase after them...

Basically thieves hang out near congested areas, streets, sidewalks and
certain markets and certain touristy areas that are not real protected.
They prefer a tourist who wanders away from his group... and looks up a
lot..... best time to steal is when one is taking pictures or gets bumped by
a distracter....

On a crowded street when people are bumping you, it's pretty hard to tell
that a thief is bumping you....  a favorite ploy is to use a breastfeeding
mom to do the bump while the lifter seizes something...  a spilled drink or
ice cream cone works well......  the advantage of the spill is that it works
in non-crowded areas like malls, historic churches, buildings or bus stops.

By the way Pops Ice-cream in Costa Rica is safe and very highly
recommended...  I had nearly a cone a day for a year.

To minimize risk... don't carry a lot of stuff....  Don't carry everything in
a Photovest unless you are on a very highly guided tour because they will cut
into your pockets with a knife.  Leave your wallet and your gold or nice
looking chrome, silver or gold watches and jewelry at home....  Women don't
wear gold earrings... even fake gold as they literally will pull it out of
your ear and run... sometimes tearing your ear lobe..  I've witnessed that
happen in San Jose.. and elsewhere.    Stay away from really crowded areas
and sidewalks when possible... I use a small Domke satchel for my cameras as
it looks like a small briefcase and not a camera bag..... don't walk around
with your biggest camera and biggest lens around your neck in crowded urban
areas unless you are actually taking pictures, I'd not recommend that
anyway... and be careful when and where you open you bag....  If I'm by
myself I try to find a doorframe or a  nice wall where I can watch people in
both directions.....  see who is looking at you and whether they have a
reason to be where they are.... most people tend to be walking on busy
streets.... I usually scope out my subject for a while anyhow, so I can
glance around at anyone who has stopped or has been watching me...  Thieves
are looking for easy and unaware targets and my techniques make me a
difficult one....

Overall Costa Rica (and Ecuador) a wonderful place to live and visit and is
far safer than various neighborhoods in Chicago, Detroit and LA.   Make sure
everything LEICA is insured for replacement value... and if it gets stolen...
you can get a new body and lens... If you spend your whole trip worrying
about your equipment... you won't have a very fun trip....

Duane Birkey

http://members.tripod.com/~Duane_Birkey/index.html