Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Serial Numbers
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 16:58:56 -0700

Steve,

Sorry, didn't notice the "black" description. But, I looked at this list of
serial numbers and I'm not sure how accurate it is. My M2 is listed as being
made in 1961, but it has been dated before by Leica USA, by Sherry Krauter,
and in Rogliatti's books as being made in 1960.

An original finish M2 is awfully rare with or without the self timer.  But,
any M2, black or chrome, from no. 949101 on should have the self timer
unless specified without. According to the CameraQuest lists, there are
still more than 250 black M2s after this number. I'm sure the black M2s from
1961 and 1962 had the self timers because by then all the M2s did.

Rogliatti attributes his lists to E. Leitz Wetzlar and while most of the
batch numbers seem to correspond to CameraQuest, there seem to be quite a
few discrepancies as to dates and actual items produced

Not that it makes much difference for taking pictures.

Bryan