Subject: Re: [Leica] 11817
From: P2CON@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:44:06 EDT

Well, now, what are we to do about this pickle?  We have been informed that
the 50 Summicron 11817 is the best of the best thru an article in the
"Viewfinder." Then we have had the article ridiculed by a couple of our
resident experts, who claim it must be false or at least "inaccurate" based
on their personal opinions. Marc Small, commenting on his ownership and use
of three 11817's, that they were disappointing and clumsy to use. Mark
Rabiner slammed the article as "presumptuous" and said the best Summicron 50
is the one he owns because Erwin said it was.

Now, I just happen to own a 50 Summicron 11817 and I like it and do not find
it clumsy or disappointing to use. I have also researched the Erwin Puts
papers and posts regarding 50 Summicrons and can find NO mention of tests he
has done on the 11817, or comparison of the 11817 to any other 50 Summicron.

Lets hear it from the rest of you Luggers. Is the 11817 a dog, or might it be
a fine and delightful lens like most other Leitz glass?

Regards, Paul Connet