Subject: RE: [Leica] M6 question backups
From: Mark Cohen <markc@creativephoto.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 19:42:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Tim Atherton wrote:

> And yes, it is a pain carrying along different systems. But to change the
> subject, the M's (even the TTL) still can't do the fill flash thing that the
> Nikons can. I love their flash system - and a longer lens every now and then
> is useful.
>
> Tim

When I went to buy my first M6 I inquired about a flash and the salesdroid
who could have made a large commission on me (flash units yield much more
then bodies or lenses) said "Real Leica photographers don't use flash" and
"The TTL in the newer leicas is for the wealthy doctors and lawyers who
want to use Leicas to take snapshots of their children"

Though I don't agree completely with that sentiment, I do agree what on
camera flash is just about the ugliest thing Ive seen. When I was really
into the look I shot a crown graphic with a 150 lens and the Graphlex bulb
holder with clear bulbs shooting onto tri-x in a graphmatic film back.

Hows that for an image :)

My point is the beauty of Leica is its un-obtrusive-ness and flash just
ruins that.

Id rather shoot a 3200 speed film pushed to 6400 w/o flash. But then I
like grain.

If people really want smooth tones and grainless shots, shoot 4x5 or 8x10.
:)

- -Mark