Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Gloom-Buster VS 75mm f/1.4 ...
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 07:51:33 -0400

At 03:04 -0700 07/07/99, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>I think the 75mm f/1.4 will be APO'd and or ASPH'd in a year or less
>with the concave hot pressed glass from Hoya and the whole bit and have
>a differnt balance, gripper, the whole smear. It will give the lens a
>whole new footprint which half of the people who already have the lens
>wont like.
>But It will give such impressive test results and real world results
>that it will win many converts to that high speed focal length. This is
>my hunch. Money will change hands.

	--> my hunch is rather that a APO-Summicron 75mm f/2.8
	would see the light of day sooner as it would be a very hot
	item, hopefully priced the same as an Elmarit 90mm f/2.8.
	This one would not need ASPH to reach outstanding
	performance at a given manufacturing cost.
	A concave front element is so darn sexy...

	--> you may be right, though, given LEICA's history
	of rather reaching for unthread ground, technically,
	and topmost market tier... An APO-Summilux f/1.4
	( or f/1.2 ! ) 75 mm, or a next-generation Noctilux 75mm :
	how's THAT for breakfast ?

	--> I just hope they make BOTH of these 75mm in 'M'
	and 'R' versions.

[ ... ]
>I think the Noct has leveled out and become a perfect entity for what it
>is and they are not going to mess with it.

	--> I'm not a 50mm photographer but the more you read
	and know about it, the Noctilux sure grows on you,
	does it not ? (I always tend to prefer below 40mm
	and 60mm upwards by personal aesthetics, but it must
	be quite an experience to photograph at extreme
	low light levels and get predictably excellent images...)

	Best regards,

	Andre Jean Quintal

	PS: would you have your Noctilux laser etched with your
	name, or just plain engraved ?   ;+)~

   "Of course, everybody knows pigs rule this World."

		Miss Piggy, in a private interview
		leading to her authorized life story.