Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Screw thread questions.
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 17:27:30 -0400

At 04:58 PM 7/8/99 EDT, DT wrote:

>Likely that's all it needs unless it's been mistreated or stored in a hot
>and/or humid place.  My IIIf had the shutter curtain and rangefinder mirror
>replaced about 25 years ago while my IIIa (12 or 13 years younger) has been
>CLA'd but otherwise is still all-original, and I've spoken to several Leica
>technicians who say that this is commonplace.  The demarcation line,
probably
>not coincidentally, is WWII.

Hmm.  I suspect the Postwar cameras were better built than the Prewar.
Leitz was really cash-poor in the '30's and had a small and ill-paid labour
force on which to draw.  After the War, Leitz happened to find the European
headquarters for the American military PX system located nearby and this
became a steady and quite large customer for fifteen years.  Leitz was able
to obtain better materials Postwar than Prewar, due to the German military
not scarfing up all the best steel, bronze, brass, and optical glass, the
sole exception being the vulcanite used for the covering, as this required
petrochemicals which Germany had to buy with hard currency, an
impossibility until 1950 or so.

I have owned Prewar LTM cameras and have never found them as solidly built
as the Postwar IIIc and IIIf models.  Now, these guys are, as Jason
Schneider recounts, "sexy devils".

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!