Subject: [Leica] lenses and saturation
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:33:19 -0700

Hello all,
I'm just reviewing a batch of film shot over the last month in Southern
Spain and the Outer Banks of the USA.  As my wife and I are both photo
enthusiasts, we each took separate camera systems.  She used a Canon A2E
with 17-35 f2.8, 50 f2.5 macro, and 70-200 f2.8 lenses.  I had my M6 with
Elmarit 21 ASPH, Summilux 35 ASPH, and Elmarit 90.

Needless to say, there were several occasions when we took basically the
same shots.  During my first (quick) pass through the photos, those taken
with the Leica seem to be quite a bit more saturated and rich in color.  As
I hold the Canon L lenses in high regard, I am frankly surprised at the
apparent difference in general.  I'm wondering if it is my manual metering
technique with the M6 vs the Canon's 16-segment programmed AE.  We did not
take the time to make the same shots with identical exposures.

It goes without saying that there is a visible difference in sharpness and
contrast in many of the photos.  In addition, the Summilux 35 ASPH enabled
me to keep shooting well into the best light of each day, handheld.

Have any of you had a similar experience?  Is it just that the AE system in
my head is smarter than the Canon's or have you noted that the Leica M
lenses seem to produce richer, more saturated colors?

Best Regards,
- --Jim Laurel