Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Noctilux Gloom-Buster now a 4X5 :)
From: "Bill O'Connell" <woc2@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:46:43 -0400

Brings to mind a real value in Nikon vs the M6.  A few years back I was at Le
Mans for the 24 hour race.  Long about the 23rd hour I went to the press tower to
insure a nice spot.  As the front row filled up the pushing and shoving started.
My wife was to get crowd shots in the pits while I did the cars.  She got tired
of the pushing and shoving and gave up her spot.  I, of course, didn't.  Near the
end as I was swinging to the right to catch the cars a fellow pushed in and
managed to catch the nice heavy 80-200 2.8 in the head.  I felt sort of bad
but...  He was not shooting btw.  He then told his buddy (to my right) "If I
shove this guy a few more times he will leave and you'll have more room".  Hmmm,
guess he assumed I was not able to speak english.  Next time I swung around he
cut in and pushed again.  Again, he got whacked in the head with the lens.  This
time, I must admit I knew what was coming and perhaps moved a little swifter and
harder.  At that point I told him if he moved in one more time, I would take him
out with the lens.  And yes, I was American and was familiar with the rag he
should have been taking pictures for.  He was somewhat shocked (no doubt the 2
head thumps helped) and slunk off to the back of the group.  His 'friend',
shooting for a major car monthly, started laughing and told me he was glad
someone finally did something like that.  We managed to share the space from then
on.
  Now, the M6 (nor my Mamiya 6 that I did have there) would never have been as
good a tool :->
  And Mark wonders why I like my Nikons so much :->